Sunday, December 14, 2008

Because I like it...

I'm posting some random pictures about food...because I like it.  Giving our wallets (and the ailing Canadian dollar) a rest, we've been eating in a lot.  No matter, I love it.  I've been thinking about food a little too much these days, but it's really not my fault.  There is so much of it everywhere, and so many intriguing things call my name when I walk by them at the market.  Even though I can't take everything home with me that same day, I can at least say a little prayer for it and bring them home next time.  I tried pan-roasting duck for the first time.  Scary at first, all that fat and just my little toaster oven to finish.  But it all went off without a hitch and everything turned out parfait.  I made a sauce from some red wine, star anise and figs (well aren't I fancy?).  As promised, some random pictures of food:


I picked up a salted pig knuckle for 60 cents - threw it in a pot of cold water with celery tops, a carrot, an onion and the green tops of the leeks.  3 magical hours later - stock.


A kilo of mussels cost us 4 euros, and a good half hour of scrubbing and de-bearding.


The steamy un-veiling.  Moules Mariniere: shallots, butter, parsley and white wine


We had run out of olive oil that day...oh, but hang on what about that little jar of duck fat in the fridge.  These are "charlotte" potatoes - parboiled, tossed in duck fat and then roasted in the oven.  Not too shabby for a frites substitute.  Besides, who actually deepfries at home anyways?

No comments: