Wednesday, November 5, 2008

"'cause I'm saving all my love for you..."

France - I was saving all my love for France.

Not to be down on all the great places that we've been, but this is what it's all about and today reminded us of why we chose to be here.  We've been limping along with our French, but for the most part, people understand and respond to our needs.  Often they'll be so fooled by our calm, ultra cool french demeanor (you know how I like to talk with a cocked eyebrow whilst bobbling my head) that they'll respond in rapid (normal speed) french.  Only after looking at our saucer-wide eyeballs do they get that we parles pas francais.  This just makes me want to learn it all the more.  

So began our 3 week tour around France to find a place to live and study.  First stop: Rennes.  A small town in Brittany that no one ever speaks of, but we got a tip from someone that they loved their time here.  We quickly ruled it out - not because we didn't like it, au contraire (will they accept Wayne's World french?), it was really charming and lively...only too small .  We spent the early afternoon at what I call a "tree" park, but it was really a botanical garden showcasing all sorts of different plants and not just trees.  We wound our way through the old centre in the late afternoon, studying menus to look for a dinner spot.  It was a good food day, meaning that everything that I ate was delicious and delighted me.  

For dinner, we went to a small restaurant called "le Presse Puree".  Ordered food from a hand-written chalkboard and sat back with a glass of white wine from Nantes.  I had a brochette of alternating beef filet and duck breast on vegetables and a side of frites and P had a filet of "lieu" (a white fish) in a red butter sauce, mashed potatoes with pureed broccoli.  His was the winning dish, but mine was tasty all the same.  The restaurant was lovely and the food was nice so we took our time and stayed for coffee and dessert.  Our server was kind and helpful, and sent us off to Bordeaux with a restaurant recommendation (he's from there) and 2 caramels made with salted butter (special to the region).  But this is what it's all about right?  Taking our time because it's so nice to be exactly there - pleasant ambiance, good company, tasty food from an honest menu and service that comes from a kind and thoughtful place.  Even if I can't eat like this all the time, I want to always remember that eating and dining can, and should be so.
 
Old city centre of Rennes


Lunch at the tree park.  Sandwich of jambon de pays, cornichons and beurre.  It's one of those things where you just had to be there.


Roasted chestnuts sold out of the back of a train engine.  I would not have it any other way.  


P freshens up his glass at le Presse Puree


Le Presse Puree
34, Rue Vasselot
Rennes
02.99.79.48.10

3 comments:

shansy said...

This is what I miss most about your absence - your appreciation of the art of good food.

I actually dined at a new French bistro in Mt. Pleasant last night - "Les Faux Bourgeois." Guess where it is? That dingy corner, across the street from Bale and kiddy corner from the Bible bookstore on Kingsway and Fraser! It only opened about a month ago, but is packed every night! It's a small place, about the same size as Aurora Bistro, but more rustic inside. All the servers are French too (and cute)! The prices are reasonable and the food is delicious!

After the meal, I just wanted to call you and tell you all about it! The bread basket, which they kept refilling all night, was the softest French bread ever. I started with escargots in a butter sauce (the last time I had escargot was in Paris!) and A had a hearty French onion soup. For my main, I had the steak-frites medium rare in a red wine sauce - the fries were so gooood (and they weren't even my usual soggy favorites!). A had the duck confit (the piece I tried was a bit dry, I have to say). For dessert we finished with the creme brulee - I think it was honestly the best creme brulee I've ever had. The crust was perfect . . . my favorite part:) All that plus Stellas for only $70! Not bad eh?

I am so excited to visit you in France! I asked for my days off already and have also looked at flights! I will begin practicing my French now. . . .:)

au revoir mon amie! bon appetit! je vais envoie un photo du restaurant . . . tu me manques! xoxo

kennypark said...

Hey Pat! When I saw the title of your post I thought you were directing it to your one and only son you left behind... but I guess France also makes sense.

Happy that I finally get to see your writing. So far I likes what I reads. Loved your comparison of your fries to a bond girl coming out of water.

Miss you guys.

Anonymous said...

i don't have foody explanations to lay against yours, i had a feta/sausage/mushroom pizza yesterday haha. But definitely loved the description.
btw...reading your friends mention of a visit, i mine as well look into doing the same, how long are you guys there for?