Monday, November 10, 2008

Some things I like about France...

Initially, one of the main factors for choosing a city to live in was its food scene.  I promptly crumpled that thought and tossed it out of my head.  EVERYWHERE in france is a good food scene.  France loves and cares about food - like I do, probably waay more than I do.  Here are some things I like about France:

Little violet drops.  As tasty as they are pretty.  Don't let this elegantly casual display fool you, did you really think that these candies splayed out there like this on their own?  I painstakingly sprinkled the violets just so on a brand new pillow in our hotel room.  Surfaces that didn't make the cut: a white towel, my hands and an unfolded napkin from our sandwiches the day before.



The bread.



Shellfish in baskets and oysters in boxes - don't care how the song goes, but these are a few of MY favorite things.


If you really want to know who I am, you really have to understand this:  there are fewer things in life that are more dramatic and special then long, perfect strips of candied orange peel dipped in dark chocolate.  "Orangette", like a whisper from an extinguished candle flame.  It was expensive, but if I hadn't, my heart would never forgive me. 

1 comment:

uncommon jasmine said...

ahhh! I just wrote a really long response, and it got eaten by the interton elves! blast!

Anyhoo, the short version was that you need to go to Pierre Herme in Paris and eat this: http://www.flickr.com/photos/jasminel/2959471008/ when you're there. It's in the Latin Quarter. Look it up on The Goggle.

love/miss you. oh, i'm thinking of coming to see you next year...just fyi.