Monday, May 18, 2009

tombstones and a little tranquility from facebook...

Went to the Père Lachaise cemetery last week and wandered around just taking it all in.  It was really beautiful and still there, aside from the handful of tourists in search for Jim Morrison's grave (anticlimactic by the way).  BUT, check out this beaut - Oscar Wilde's grave.  It was recently re-done by a benefactress that was a fan of his work.  If you zoom in, you can see lipstick kisses all over it!!!  Love love love.  Shades of pink, reds and browns - lips on stone.  
There was a little bit written about him on the back, but also a lovely little epitaph:
And alien tears will fill for him
 Pity's long broken urn.
For his mourners will be outcasts
And outcasts always mourn.

More of what the rest of the cemetery looked like.
  
View from our living room. 

I joined facebook the other day.  It was a little overwhelming at first and I'm retreating to this blog as a security blanket of sorts.  It's so quiet here!  Facebook is like a highschool science fair, everyone's lives on display on a 3-panel bristol board.  Or maybe a highschool cafeteria, where there are so many people you can go and talk to in 5-minute intervals before moving on and getting in line to order your fries.  I'm more used to wordy blogs and lengthy emails of late - but that's because I've had time and lots of it.  I wonder if I am in actuality a homebody or if it is just being with P, ironically he happens to be the most socially well-received person I know.  But P loves being at home.  "Hate" is a strong word, but I'll say he was "glad to escape" Vancouver and all its (our) social obligations.    As I flip through photos on facebook and see myself and my friends I really question if I'm as homebody on the inside as I've come to be with P.  

2 comments:

kennypark said...

Paul looks genuinely sad in that photo of Oscar Wilde's grave - so sad that he lost the strength in his neck to keep his head up!

Anonymous said...

gah! facebook, eh? looks like i'm the last one standing!

i understand though. if i ever moved away, i'd probably end up joining it too, just to keep in touch with those at home. =)

your photos of the cemetery reminds me of a movie, though i can't recall which one...

~ann.