Friday, July 3, 2009

Yes, I still like food...

Our closet-sized kitchens in Paris have been driving me insane.  The experience best resembles trying to cook in a 3-person elevator (these are common in France).  Instead of fun and experimental meals, I've been restricted to meals that are elevator-cooking friendly, that means minimal prep, minimal chopping and minimal cooking (only 2 burners).  But don't you worry, we're still eating well.  Observe:
  
"Ispahan" from Pierre Hermé - raspberry meringue, lychee and rose-scented cream with fresh raspberries.  *die. No, seriously.


They grow them a little cuter in France.

The market experience in Toulouse was pretty amazing, and 2 months into our stay there, I knew our way around town and the markets like the back of my hand.  Markets kind of operate on a self-serve system in Toulouse, there are small baskets that you take and fill with your choice of produce, and it makes the line move quick.  It also gave me the freedom to poke around and handle produce that I haven't seen before.  In Paris, I'm often served by someone - you tell them what you want and in the quantities and they put your order together for you.  Upside: it's nice to be served.  Downside: you can't take your time because the madames behind you are impatiently fidgeting and "accidently" bumping into you with their roll-away grocery bag things.  One time, I accidentally ordered 2 yellow "boats" (navettes) instead of 2 yellow turnips (navets).  Embarrassing.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh my goodness the rasperry tea biscuit looks BEYOND. like-- beyond. ummm. yummmm.

i love your little zuchinnis and carrots- how can you stand to eat those, you brute! ;)

with love for you and Paris,
heather :D

Anonymous said...

Hi pa pa Paaat!

(I posted this in my live journal but in case you don't see my reply, here it is again, -HM) :)

Haha, Pat!
Hi hi HIIII! :D

warmest hugs!!!

oh my, yes you must be losing your mind over all the pretty (and expensive) things in Paris-- but fear not, as you my dear Pat have always had the most delicious sense of style, and rubbing shoulders with the French certainly won't be hurting that any. Lol.

Yes, I'm going to Portland and LA and San Francisco this year and I will definitely have to do my research and then put away a little pocket money for some purchased joys. :D

Thx for links! (although I already knew of those ;) ) we are now fashion blog twins, hehe. ;)

Hugs from here!
H.