Monday, August 3, 2009

DIY - Kimchi

I would have never imagined myself making kimchi, or making it in France.  A, a Korean friend from Toulouse recently moved to Paris (who is now renting a room next door to our apartment), shared his mother's coveted kimchi recipe with me.  We actually didn't go by any recipes, and all I have left are these images to guide me through my next attempt (if there ever will be one).  Here goes:

A trick: split the chinese cabbage in 2 (then again) from the stem end, just half way through the stalks, stop where the leafy parts begin and separate the quarters keeping the leaves in tact.

Sprinkle rock salt in between each layer, making sure to get right into the stalky end and soak the whole thing in salted water for about 2 hours.
Prep the other ingredients: grated garlic, ginger, chives and daikon sliced into matchsticks.

The base of the paste is made from rice flour cooked until thickened in some water.  Sugar, chili powder, the garlic, ginger chives and daikon are mixed together with fish sauce (or fermented fish).  After the cabbage has soaked for several hours, drain the water and pack the paste in between each of the leaves, coating all surfaces.  Store in a cool dark place and let it ferment and go to a happy place.

After several days in the fridge, you get this lovely fermented cabbagey mess.  His response to the end product: "pas mal" with a bit of a shrug.  I asked if it was like his mother's, and he gave a definitive "non", head shake and all.  For what it's worth, I would buy the stuff in the future...or mooch from a Korean ex-roommate whose mom would stock our fridge with Kimchi rations to last a couple of weeks.   

2 comments:

shansy said...

All my favorite ingredients yet I haven't found my love for it! You'll have to make it for me when you get back:) yum!

shansy said...

I might go crazy for korean soon:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bibimbap

Almost as good as mashed potatoes wrapped in chicken skin?